Blogger : Know your post editor


post editorI had been using blogger for the past 3-4 years but its only about 6 months that I've identified and started using various elements and features of blogger post editor while posting the articles. I actually don't remember whether these features were provided by Google blogger before or not but I've been enjoying more posting in blogs since I noticed them as the posts looks nice and it adds SEO benefit as well.


If you take a look at the top-right of your post-editor just below the title area, there are 2 tabs:

1. Edit HTML:
Always try using this while posting articles when you are using blogger. Why to use "Edit HTML" for posting?
a. It doesn't take text formatting copied from different sources and Microsoft word
b. Image SEO : May be you haven't yet relaized how important is adding "Alt" and "Title" attribute to the images but believe me this is really important for image search engines to find the images for correct keyword.

2. Compose : WYSIWYG editor (What You See Is What You Get mode)
However, posting becomes more easier, simpler and quicker when using this mode. As the icons are available in the sink and you can easily use them without having knowledge of few codes. But what I usually do is use "Edit HTML" to copy the text from sources and use "Compose" mode for styling the texts and adding images and revert back to "Edit HTML" to add "Alt" and "Title" attributes to the images.

Various Elements of blogger post editor:

Look at the kitchen sink of icons or buttons in your post editor from left to right:

1. Undo : Reverts the last change you made in the post : Shortcut Key (Ctrl+Z)

2. Redo : Redo the change that you reverted using "undo" function : Shortcut Key (Ctrl+Y)

3. Font : For changing the font family but I usually don't use this because I like the font from my template.
4. Font size: For changing the font size but I don't use this as well for the same reason except for the <h3></h3> tags and <h1></h1> tags which adds SEO advantages.

5. Bold: For making the lines bold in the post which is especially used for the subtitles in your post.

6. Italics: Slants the selected texts and makes your post's look nicer when used properly. I use it along with "Quote" which will be discussed later in this article.

7. Underline: Underlines your selected text.

8. Strikethrough: Strikethrough (also called strikeout) is a typographical presentation of words with a horizontal line through the center of them. But I have not been able to identify for what purpose this is actually used and useful. However you can use it your own way. eg. Bloger Blogger

9. Text color: Adds color styling to your selected text in the post. Using this feature unnecessarily in my early blogging years created blogging horror to me later when I had to change the template of my blog from black to white one. So, don't use it to color all the texts of your post but use it just to make it attractive (using it on titles, important points,etc.).

10. Text background color: This is similar to a highlighter. It highlights the selected text with the color you choose. I have been using this feature to highlight code snippets in tutorials.

11. Link: Adding links to the selected anchor text. However to add "dofollow" or "nofollow" tags in the link you need to edit it in "HTML editor"

12. Insert image: Uploading images in your picasa account and displaying images in your post but I suggest you to insert image using "Compose" mode first and then add "Alt" and "Title" tags later using HTML editor.

13. Insert a video: Uploads videos in Google videos and displaying it in your post.

14. Insert a Jump Break: Limits your post shown in homepage and adds a "Read More" tag. Html code for this feature is <!--more--></div>

15. Alignment: For aligning the selected text to left, center or right.

16. Numbered list: Adds numbering to the lines of your post.

17. Bullet list: Adds Bullet to the lines. One of the features I love and I use it frequently in the posts.

18. Quote: Depends upon the template but it usually margins the selected template to the left, adds a background color and may change the font. I always try to use this function so that the post looks magnificient. eg. Watch the starting texts of this post.

19. Remove formatting: Wow, I realize this feature just now while writing this post. So, there is no need to paste your post to HTML editor. It can remove text formatting.

20. Check Spelling: Use this to check the incorrect spellings in the post at the end just before posting when your post is ready .

21. Transliterate words: Transliterate the words typed phonetically in English script

Just above the "Publish post" button there is a link "Post Options" which when clicked expands:

  • Reader comments : Allow and Don't allow (show existing or hide existing comments)
  • Post date and time : Automatic and Scheduled at (post with date of your choice)
  • Edit HTML Line Breaks
  • Compose settings : Interpret typed HTML and Show HTML literally (useful when posting html codes for tutorials or any other purpose)

No comments:

Post a Comment